Tuesday, February 23, 2010

HD is not fun.

After four days of no bowel movements and still on a full dose of laxative, I had to do something I've never done before: give a 2 year old an enema. Twice. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't hard either. Having read many times about poor mothers having to give their HD kids enemas, I was prepared for the worst. I had myself draped in a towel ready for some massive explosion of brown smelly goo. But I have to say it went much better than I expected.

First, he thought the enema bottle "tickled". Good grief.
Second, he wasn't bothered at all by the filling of his colon with cold liquid.
Third, there was no explosion as I removed the bottle.
Fourth, the look on his little face when he realized he was gonna go after he stood up was hilarious. (I was a little preoccupied so I didn't get a photo).

Once I realized he wasn't going to explode on me, we just put on a diaper and followed him around. After about 2 minutes we changed his diaper. Then maybe 5 minutes later we changed another one. Neither was overloaded or totally disgusting. And that was all he had. The next morning we did it again, with only one diaper resulting. Luckily after that he started going on his own, still on the laxative, of course.

This time we dodged the bullet of having to return to Children's Hospital for an "official" enema and x-rays and all kinds of other horrible things. (knock on wood)

No comments: