Monday, January 5, 2009

Revelations and Resolutions

Michaela: no accidents!
Maeve: 1
Alasdair: 3

I had a revelation today about Michaela's blockage problem. For the last 3 years I've been told to just use the Miralax and leave it at that. Originally she was only 4, so her dose was like 1 tsp a day. We've recently upped her to a full adult dose of 17g per day. I have been thinking about asking our pediatrician to refer us to a GI and I was at the Children's Hospital website looking at their Gastroenterolgy page when I noticed a pamphlet on Constipation and Encopresis. Lo and behold, I find out that the dosage of Miralax that we need to give her to actually CLEAR her blockage is 100 GRAMS PER DAY for three days!!! Why were we not told this years ago?? So, this weekend we're going to try that and see what happens. If we don't see anything miraculous happen, I'm going to try the milk of magnesia for three days and see what that does. I'm really hoping that once we can get her blockage out and keep her cleaned out, then these accidents will stop. That's my 2009 Resolution: help my daughter to regain bowel control!

On a related note, the pamphlet also mentioned that we could use mineral oil to clean her out, by giving her 1/2 cup of mineral oil 2-3x per day. How gross is that?? Can you imagine drinking 1/2 a cup of mineral oil? It makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. ugh. That will be our last ditch effort there.

No comments: